How the virus locked computers
WannaCry attacked computers that _________________________ and __________________________. The systems affected had not yet been updated with _________________ that Microsoft released in March.
How WannaCry was blocked
A developer accidentally discovered a way to prevent WannaCry from spreading.
○ He looked at the computer code and noticed that the virus was directing computers to ________________________. He checked on the domain name and discovered that it was available, so he bought it for less than $11. That simple move enabled a "kill switch" that prevented WannaCry from _________________. Unfortunately, the kill switch does not unlock computers that were already infected by the virus.
○ The developer has chosen to ___________________ but uses the Twitter account @malwaretechblog. He wrote a blog post that explains in detail how he happened to discover the kill switch for WannaCry. The post is called ______________________________________________.
But we are not safe yet
○ This cyberattack used ________________ that still exists for computers running ____________________ of Windows.
○ Computers running Windows 10 that have not yet installed the update are also ________________.
○ The virus may attack again. All the hackers have to do to launch a new cyberattack is to _______________________ in WannaCry, then release ________________________.
How to protect your data against future cyberattacks
You can protect yourself against future cyberattacks.
○ Make sure to ____________________ the latest Windows security patch to your computer. Microsoft, the maker of Windows, has now released security patches for older versions of Windows that give protection against WannaCry. For help, visit Microsoft’s page called “How to Keep Your Windows Computer Up-to-date.”
○ Permit automatic Windows updates if you do not want to worry about ___________________________.
○ Also, make sure that you save, or _______________ your data. Do ____________________ of your data, both locally with an external drive and in the Cloud. That way you can protect your data when another cyberattack ___________________.
○ Be sure not to _______________________________________ or ______________________________ unless you are sure that they are not "phishing" emails from hackers. Although the WannaCry virus attack did not happen this way, others have happened this way __________.